With water leak detectors you can help prevent one of the highest causes of home insurance claims; water damage. These claims can cost upwards of $10000 to repair, not to mention the amount of time that is involved in the repair that may render your home unusable. In order to eliminate this potential costly problem from your home, it is essential to detect water leaks early on. As a homeowner, you should have a water detection tool that you can rely on and is worth your money. That is why we have compiled this list of expert-reviewed water leak detectors, otherwise known as water monitoring systems.
Water leak detectors are able to not only save you money but help ensure the safety of your family. Instant notifications can help you ensure that damage is mitigated, but also that you can turn off dangerous appliances that are near the leak. If necessary, you are also able to evacuate your family and loved ones from your home if the leak cannot be managed immediately.
Almost all of the water leak detectors that have been reviewed are able to connect to your smart home, an important feature today that can not only save you money and time but ensure the safety of you and your family.
Within this list, you will see familiar names from some of the largest security providers who have developed Water Leak Detection systems for the home. However, that does not always mean that they are the best water leak detectors on the market. Some of the things our experts looked at are the Detector’s smart capabilities, how many sensors you can purchase, how loud the leak or flood alarm is. That is not an exhaustive list of things they looked for, but rest assured that this comprehensive list will help you find the best water leak detector for your home.
The Flume Smart Home Water Monitoring system is the top pick among experts to detect water leaks within the home. The Flume works by connecting to your home’s water meter and is battery-powered; it also connects to your smartphone via Wi-Fi for full functionality. You will be able to not only monitor the water usage in your home but detect leaks through the Flume smartphone app. You will receive instant alerts to your smartphone if the Flume detects water leakage. The Flume detects leaks through the use of its companion the Flume Bridge; all you need to do is place it within 1000 feet of the sensor anywhere in your home.
- Automatic notification of a leak sent to your smartphone
- Tracks home water usage using the companion App
- Can be placed anywhere in the home
- Great customer support
- It doesn’t know how to make the difference between irrigation activity and a leak
- It’s not exactly real-time, as advertised
- The app asks for pieces of information that have no relevance, like address, insurance company name
The Basement Watchdog is the number two pick by experts, and this water leak detector comes with a high water alarm that is able to detect water and notify you of water in your basement or home if water reached 1/32-inches deep. It is powered by a 9-volt battery and has a battery-saving feature that prevents the use of power uncles the sensor notifies the alarm to sound. The Basement Watchdog can be installed using wires and easily mounts to sump pumps.
- 110-decibel alarm
- Battery saver mode
- Options to use battery-powered or wired depending on your preference or needs.
- It doesn’t have a weak battery alert
- One may not be enough for the entire basement
- It has no kill-switch
#3 – Vivint Water Sensor
Vivint water sensor is the number 3 choice by home experts; it is battery-powered and capable of being placed anywhere within the home. Vivint’s water sensor also has its own app that will connect to your smartphone to send you notifications about leaks and temperature. The Vivint Water Sensor monitors moisture in order to detect water leaks. The sensor also monitors the temperature, which is important if you live in a northern state with frequent freezing temperatures. The Vivint Water sensor will notify you if it is being tampered with, by say, young curious toddlers.
- Smartphone app to send notifications if a leak is detected
- Temperature monitoring
- Battery-powered to be placed anywhere in the home
The Ring Alarm Flood and Freeze sensor is powered by a 3V lithium battery, which can last up to 3 years. It also has a companion app for your smartphone to send you notifications of leaks. The Ring Alarm Flood and Freeze Sensor uses z-wave technology to connect to the base station, which has to be within 250 feet. It sends a notification to your phone when the temperature drops below 40-degrees. It can be placed anywhere within the home to detect leaks.
- Mobile notifications if a leak is detected
- Temperature monitoring and alerts for freezing temperatures
- Can be paired with the Ring security system
- A little bigger than other similar products, so you cannot place it in tighter places, like under the fridge
- You cannot reduce the volume of the alarm
- It doesn’t have a built-in siren
The Simplisafe water sensor is battery-powered, wireless, and has 3M adhesive to be placed anywhere in the home. The Simplisafe water sensor can also pair with your smartphone to send notifications to you in the event of a detected leak. The Simplisafe can also pair up to the Simplisafe home security system to send you notifications of leaks or emergencies to your smartphone and improve the level of monitoring in your home.
- Automatic notifications of leaks via text to your smartphone
- Alarm if the water detectors probes are immersed within the water
- Flexible placement and battery-powered
- It doesn’t show battery life
The First Alert Water Leak detectors come in a multi-pack with three devices in order to be able to monitor multiple locations within the home, such as the kitchen, bathroom, and basement at the same time. Each Water Leak Detector is equipped with a loud 85 decibel that can be placed within a 6-foot radius of any unit you want to be monitored. The First Alert Water Leak Detectors come with a 2-year limited warranty and are effective at sensing leaks within your home.
- Loud 85-decibel alarm
- Battery-powered for easy placement
- 6-foot radius of the appliance or unit you want to be monitored
- No battery indicator
- The size is a little too big to fit in some places
The Zircon Leak Alert Water Detector can be placed anywhere within the home, be it the basement, bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, or garage. The Zircon Leak Alert Water Detector is powered by a 9V battery and does not need wires or a wall outlet in order for it to work. Once the sensor gets wet, it sounds a 90-decibel alarm continuously for up to 3 days. The Zircon Leak Alert Water Detector is even certified in the event of a flood.
- 90-decibel alarm when the sensor detects water
- Comes in a five-pack to detect water leaks in multiple locations within the home
- Powered by a 9V battery for easy placement.
- It looks cheap
- The low battery feature is not reliable
The YoLink Smart Leak sensors come in a pack with four leak sensors that have an amazing range of a ¼ mile. The YoLink Smart Leak Sensors are perfect for large properties such as barns or homes with detached garages. The YoLink Water Sensor can pair up to your Wi-Fi to send notifications to your smartphone in the event of a detected leak. The YoLink Water Sensors can also link up with Alexa smart home devices for voice control and notifications of leaks within your home or barn.
- Has a ¼ range to detect leaks
- Works with Alexa for voice automation and notifications
- 4-pack for multiple location monitoring
- The hub sometimes drops off the Wi-Fi signal
- It doesn’t have the option to send a text message to your phone
#9 – ADT Flood Detector
The ADT Flood Detector is capable of being placed anywhere in the home, thanks to being battery-powered. It has a battery life up to 10 years via its 3V battery, and it comes with a wireless transmitter. The ADT Flood Detector can be paired with ADT’s home security equipment and their professional home monitoring team, which will send you notifications if the Flood Detector sensors are triggered. Notifications can be sent via text or phone call.
- Smartphone notifications in the event of a detected leak
- ADT security system pairing
- Easy placement thanks to battery-powered detectors
The leakSMART Water Leak Detection Kit is a full water leak detection kit; it includes a shut-off valve that will automatically turn off the water to your home in the event of leak detection to prevent any further damage to your home. It will sound a loud alarm and sent a notification to your smartphone in the event of a detected leak. It also can qualify for an insurance rebate but must be professionally installed in order to do so.
- Smartphone notifications for detected leaks
- Can pair up to Nest, Wink, and another smart home tech that works on z-wave technology
- Automatic shut-off if a leak is detected in the home to prevent further damage
- Tech support isn’t very helpful
- The range of the sensors is disappointing
- Rather difficult to set up and use
Bonus Water Leak Detector
The Honeywell Wi-Fi Water Leak and Freeze Detector can be placed anywhere within the home, thanks to its battery-powered system. It also includes a cable to detect if there is a leak in a larger area. The Honeywell Leak detector can be placed either on the floor near household appliances that you wish to be monitored or on the wall. It connects to the Lyric mobile app for instant notifications to your smartphone and is reusable after water detection.
- Reusable after detecting water
- Temperature monitoring for freezing temperatures and humidity
- Easy placement thanks to battery powered system
- If you want the full 5-year warranty, it needs to be installed by a professional
- You need to test it first because some items seem to be faulty
Why You Should Purchase a Water Leak Detector:
- Can reduce or eliminate repair costs: Water damage is the second leading cause of homeowner’s insurance claims. Between the years of 2013 and 2017, the average water claim was over $10000, according to the Insurance Information Institute, only after fire and lightning. Being able to know when there is a water leak in your home will help you to prevent excessive damage saving your time and money. Several of these water detection systems are able to tell you when you have a frozen pipe, another cause of water leaks in the home, especially for those living up north. Being able to know when a pipe is frozen can help you to prevent the damage that can occur if it bursts.
- Instant Alerts – Today, thanks to smart home technology, many of the water sensors can be connected to your home’s Wi-Fi system. This allows you to receive instant notifications of a possible water leak in your home. These instant notifications will allow you to reduce the risk of mold, flooding, and damage to your home.
- Safety – When you are instantly alerted of a leak, and possible flooding, within your home, you will be able to protect yourself and your family better. You can remove or shut off appliances around the leaks to prevent a hazardous outcome. Leaking and flooding can lead to highly dangerous electrical risks as well as damage the structure of your home. It can also lead to flooding, such as in your basement or crawlspace. Finally, when water leaks in your home, you face the possibility of mold or contaminants forming in your home.
Quality Water leak detectors can seem expensive when looking at the upfront cost, but when you choose the correct one, it could actually save you money in the long run. This can be a small one-time expense that will save you thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in repair costs. Following this list of expert-recommended and reviewed water leak detectors will help keep your home safe from the extensive damage of water leaks.
Originally posted on: https://www.themoldfacts.com/water-leak-detectors/water-leak-detectors-you-can-help-prevent-one-of-the-highest-causes-of-home-insurance-claims-water-damage-and-water-intrusion-lead-to-a-number-of-different-problems-including-mold-growth/